COVID-19 & Event Preparedness

March 10, 2020 

Dear RIA Members, Sponsors, and Colleagues: 

We are watching the COVID-19 aka “coronavirus” situation very closely, particularly with respect to our events including the annual RIA Conference which is scheduled for June 8th and 9th in Toronto.

A lot can happen in 90 days, so we are taking steps to prepare for a number of scenarios. For example, the virus could stabilize in Canada, or it could escalate and decline between now and June, leaving Toronto in a situation that is similar to where it stands today – a place of low risk according to public health authorities. If public health officials deem the risk to be low at the time of our conference, we will plan to continue with the event while taking steps to promote public health such as providing packaged foods, boxed water, and hand sanitizer stations throughout the venue.

But there is also a chance that the virus could escalate to a high-risk situation in early June, leading to a travel advisory or a government-issued warning against large meetings in Toronto. If policy signals, such as these, indicate that it would be unsafe or inadvisable to hold the RIA Conference as planned, then we would cancel the event and issue refunds to attendees. We would also give sponsors the option to receive a refund or carry-over their sponsorships to 2021.

The health and safety of our staff and event attendees is a top priority. We are assessing all of our scheduled events on a case-by-case basis using the most current and reliable and information. For now, the risk remains low so we will continue to plan our conference. We will provide updates as the situation evolves.

We will provide updates as the situation evolves. 

Sincerely,


Dustyn Lanz
Chief Executive Officer,
Responsible Investment Association